"This is the best learning experience I have ever engaged in and I recommend it with no hesitation. Being in a community of scholars who are interested in ethics...has been truly inspiring and has re-ignited my enthusiasm for law school."
—Maria Sevilla, Georgetown University
"This program pushed me and forced me to reconsider issues I had taken for granted before. It reminded me that ethics are not a list of rules you can memorize, but rather a matter for continual thought and evaluation."
—Megan Camm, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
FASPE covers all student expenses, including food, transatlantic and European travel, and lodging. Piloted initially with two programs in the summer of 2010, FASPE will host five application-based programs in the summer of 2017: business, journalism, law, medical, and seminary.
FASPE programs run for twelve days. While the workshops, seminars, and site visits vary with each trip, they generally follow this outline:
- Fellows and faculty meet in Berlin for welcome and orientation.
- Fellows stay in Berlin for 4-5 days to visit and study the city's historical and cultural sites. Educational workshops take place at such locations as the House of the Wannsee Conference, where in 1942, representatives of State and Nazi Party agencies convened to discuss and coordinate plans for the "Final Solution."
- Fellows travel to Oświęcim, Poland, the town the Germans called Auschwitz, where they tour Auschwitz-Birkenau and work with the distinguished staff at the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum.
- Fellows also travel to Krakow where they explore the city's rich Jewish, Catholic, and Polish history. Sessions devoted to contemporary ethics take place in seminar rooms at Auschwitz and at Jagiellonian University in Krakow, one of Europe's oldest and most prestigious universities.
- After the trip's completion, each participant submits a final written product focused on a contemporary ethical issue chosen by the Fellow. Some of these are included in an annual journal of essays published by FASPE.
Fellows have described FASPE as "inspiring," "insightful," and "life changing." More student responses can be found on the individual program pages which can be accessed through the navigation bar above. These pages also include more details about each program.
To see more information about the application process, please click on the "How to Apply" tab above.